Reduced VAT on property purchase
Those buying a property in Cyprus as their main residence may apply for a reduced rate of VAT of 5% on the purchase price/construction cost of a new dwelling providing they meet certain criteria.
This information leaflet from the Tax Department provides a general guidance on the purchase/construction of a new dwelling in the Republic of Cyprus. For any further information or special advice, please contact our VAT District Offices in all towns.
As from the 1st of October 2011, a reduced rate of 5% can be imposed on purchasing or construction of a dwelling in Cyprus, as long as the dwelling is used as the principal and permanent residence in the Republic by the beneficiary. The reduced VAT rate of 5% applies on the first 200 square meters of the buildable area of the dwelling. In cases of large families (minimum of four children) the total area of the dwelling is enhanced by 15 square meters per each additional child (over three children). On the approval of the relevant application submitted to the Tax Department an appropriate certificate is issued. The application form is only available in Greek.
Beneficiaries Individuals who:
- Have completed their 18th year of age on the date of applying for the reduced rate;
- Acquired the property for use as their principal and permanent place of residence in Cyprus;
- The application for a planning permit (or a building permit where no planning permission is required) must be submitted to the competent authority after 01/05/2004.
- The application must be submitted before the applicants have moved in the dwelling.
- If the beneficiary has received a grant under the Special Grant (Purchase or building of a Home) Law, he or she is not entitled to apply for a reduced VAT rate before the expiration of 10 years from the time he/she received the sponsorship, unless he/she attaches a certificate from the Grant Agency that he/she has reimbursed the grant or part there of it, accordingly.
Deadline for submitting the application
If the property is under construction (off-plan) the reduced VAT rate application can be submitted at any time during the construction of the dwelling. In cases of purchasing new-build properties the application must be submitted before the first occupation of the dwelling by the buyer.
It is essential to underline that in cases where the reduced VAT rate is granted, the residential property must be used as the applicant’s principal and permanent residence in the Republic for a period of 10 years. If the beneficiary person ceases to use the dwelling as a place of residence earlier than 10 years he shall, within 30 days from the date he ceases to use it as a place of residence, notify the Commissioner and pay the difference between the amount of tax resulting from the application of the reduced rate (5%) and the standard rate as applicable on the date of supply or construction of the dwelling (now 19%), which accounts for the period he has not used the dwelling for the purposes of residency, except in case of death of the beneficiary person or in case of a transfer by the person entitled to any adult child, as long as the child is not a beneficiary person at the time of the transfer.
Source: Cyprus Property News